|Book your appointment today! 905-850-SPINE|
OHIP Funded Physiotherapy Services
At SPINEgroup, we focus on return to normal function, along with prevention of further injuries and/or re-occurrence. We use a variety of evidence-based modalities and techniques in order to maximize each patient’s health needs, while correcting the cause of the injury or functional impairment. Patient education and self-management, rather than passive treatment is our objective.
A referral from a physician or nurse practitioner is required for each episode of care prior to the initiation of services.
Patient Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for Physiotherapy Services funded under this program, a person must, for each episode of care:
be insured under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan and referred by a physician or nurse practitioner based on an assessment that the person requires physiotherapy services and is within one of the following categories:
- aged 65 years and older;
- aged 19 years and younger;
- recently discharged as an inpatient of a hospital and a physician on the medical staff of the hospital determines that the insured person needs physiotherapy services that are directly connected to the condition, illness, or injury for which the insured person was admitted to the hospital;
- be referred by a physician or nurse practitioner based on an assessment that the person requires physiotherapy services and be eligible for funding of services under the Ontario Disability Support (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW) programs.
Definition of “Episode of Care”
• An episode of care is one discrete group of condition/diagnosis specific, time-limited, goal-oriented physiotherapy services provided to a specific patient.
• A new referral from a physician or nurse practitioner is required for each episode of care.
• The number, frequency and duration of visits offered during each episode of care must be necessary and reasonable for the treatment of the condition as determined by the treating physiotherapist using his/her professional and clinical judgement of the patient’s individual need and evidence-based best practices.
• While there is no fixed limit to the number of episodes of care a person may receive, all eligibility criteria, including a separate referral, must be met for each episode of care.