|Book your appointment today! 905-850-SPINE|
Senior Rehabilitation Management and Consulting Services
To be recognized as the leader of innovative and evidence based interdisciplinary clinical solutions for the senior/elderly population throughout Canada and the United States.
We provide healthcare management and consulting services for:
- Assisted Living Homes
- Long-Term Care (LTC) Homes and/or Organizations
- Home Health Care
- Convalescence Care
- High Intensity Needs or Complex Patient Care
- Nursing & Personal Care Staff (Spinal Pain and Injury Reduction Program)
SPINEgroup offers customized clinical solutions for Long Term Care, Home Care and Assisted Living. We are committed to developing innovative and effective solutions to improve your resident and staff well being without compromising budgets. We accomplish this through harmonizing existing care resources in order to maximize their potential benefit and to efficiently meet your clinical needs. We follow a four step process to ensure quality and cost-effectiveness:
- Assessment and Needs Analysis. We evaluate your home’s (or organization’s) current status (based on collected outcomes) and assess your needs. We focus on your short and long term objectives and help to identify any gaps in your current health care delivery. This includes a full physical demands analysis for your nursing and personal care employees.
- Re-development. Next, we custom design collaborative programs focused on identified needs. This includes a communication strategy to keep you informed of progress.
- Implementation. We implement and co-manage the new program model. Our aim is a smooth transition of services with minimal work from your administration.
- Evaluation. Finally, we will collect and monitor clinical outcomes for your home. We utilize the Resident Assessment Instrument-Minimal Data Set (RAI-MDS) and will use this data set as well as other appropriate evidence-based outcome measures.
Common Care Gaps
Through years of research and collective experience we have recognized three clinical care gaps common in the Assisted Living, Long-Term Care and Home Care sector:
- Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Spine Care Management
- Work Related Spinal Injury Claims for Nursing & Personal Care staff
- There is a 45–80% prevalence rate of spinal pain among long term care geriatric residents that is under-reported and inadequately managed
- Chronic non-malignant spinal pain management in older vulnerable patients is inadequate and improvement is needed in screening, clinical evaluation, follow up and attention to potential toxicities of drug therapy
- Consequences of poorly managed spine pain in this population may include depression, social isolation, sleep disturbance, decreased ambulation, increased healthcare utilization and related monthly costs and expenses Long Term Care facility employees (particularly nursing & personal care staff) are twice as likely as other workers to be injured on the job resulting in more than 200,000 work related injuries per year. The majority of serious injuries involve the spine or spinal related structures, i.e. intervertebral disc injuries and joint sprain/strains.
Long Term Care- Spine Care Program
Our Long Term Care-Spine Care Program is an extension of our clinic based Spine Care Program adapted to fit the unique clinical needs of the Long Term Care and/or Assisted Living geriatric population as well as nursing staff in the long term care work environment.
Overwhelming research in this resident population identifies a high prevalence of spinal pain as (36% to 70%) which is under reported and unmanaged, resulting in higher risks for falls, immobility, aggression and cognitive impairments. Click here for research.
Our program objectives are as follows:
- Improve the quality of care for residents
- Improve resource utilization by reducing avoidable/inappropriate hospital use/transfers
- Provide early diagnosis and intervention to manage spinal conditions
- Provide education and clinical care to nursing staff
- Conduct research/outcome evaluation
- Reduce healthcare costs
Rationale for Program:
- Spinal conditions resulting in persistent pain, falls related injuries, functional & cognitive impairment and diagnostic testing (plain film x-rays) represent the top reasons for hospital admission which may be avoided by spinal evaluation and clinical management provided in LTC homes
- Health human resource shortage, particularly registered nurses and physicians. The addition of spine care clinical specialists in the sector may alleviate work load from medical and nursing staff and fill currently unmet needs in the sector.
- The high prevalence of spine work related injuries and WSIB claims in nursing staff can be addressed with onsite clinical specialists in this area.
- Provides timely evaluation of spinal conditions reducing long-term LTC operating costs
- Reduces persistent unresolved spinal pain and increases physical function and mobility
- Improves efficiency of the LTC homes by ensuring appropriate care for all patients
- Reduces the risk of falls
- Reduces need for drug therapy and potential iatrogenic adverse effects
- Reduces avoidable hospital admissions for higher needs residents
- Decreases turnover of nursing staff by reducing workload
- Reduces WSIB claims and “lost work days” through education (prevention strategies) and onsite management of spinal injuries in nursing and personal care staff
- Increases in resident satisfaction and marketability of home/organization
Program Financing Options:
- Resident Basic Program: Funded through Medicare Plans including MOHLTC Nursing and Personal Care/Restorative Care Funding Envelopes, OHIP and in some cases Extended Health Insurance)
- Resident Enhanced Program: Funded through Medicare Plans including MOHLTC envelopes, OHIP, Extended Health Insurance or Long Term Care Insurance plus small (recoupable) resident expense and/or home financing for additional funded specialists)
- Employee Program: Funded through employee Extended Health InsuranceSpinegroup Business Opportunities
Cognitive Restoration Program
The objective of our Cognitive Restoration Program is to assist patients/clients to achieve a higher level of independence and function
ality through sensory motor focused physical and psychological rehabilitation. Our program is designed specifically for the senior patient with cognitive impairments and associated disorders including depression, dementia, cardiovascular disease, musculoskeletal pain and/or disability. First, we will screen and evaluate the patient’s risk factors based on their baseline health status. Second, we perform a comprehensive evaluation and medical file review. Finally, we develop a cost-effective clinical management plan for each patient and recommend or implement a course of treatment.
Criteria for Inclusion:
Candidates for this program are 55 years of age or older and have a mild to moderate mental impairment. Our clinical team will screen the patient prior to admission to the program.
Course of Treatment:
Treatment typically consists of a 2-day per week, 10-16-week program. Length of the program will depend upon the client’s severity of impairments and treatment goals.
Program Financing Options:
Resident Basic Program: Funded through Medicare Plans including MOHLTC Nursing and Personal Care/Restorative Care Funding Envelopes, OHIP and in some cases Extended Health Insurance)
Resident Enhanced Program: Funded through Medicare Plans including MOHLTC envelopes, OHIP, Extended Health Insurance or Long Term Care Insurance plus small (recoupable) resident expense and/or home financing for additional funded specialists)
Spinegroup Business Opportunities For Your Home ~ If you wish to learn more about opportunities for implementing this program for your Long Term Care organization or Senior Residence or to request our White Paper, please click here.
If you wish to learn more about opportunities for implementing this program for your Long Term Care organization or Assisted Living Residence or to request our White Paper, please click here.